HH CDL PERMIT STUDY TOOLS
PRIOR TO TAKING THE TEST
- A CDL permit/license cannot be issued until the applicant has provided a copy of the CDL application, copy of current medical certificate, and a Self-Certification form certifying as to what type driving they are operating in or expect to operate in.
- The above information must be forwarded to the Division of Driver Licensing and posted to the driver’s CDLIS record prior to applying for issuance of the CLP/ CDL at the circuit court clerk’s office.
- In an attempt to make the new process user friendly, the CDL application and Self-Certification can be completed and submitted at MY CDL/Kentucky CDL Document Portal, http://mycdl.ky.gov or by printing a copy at the Division of Driver Licensing website at http://drive.ky.gov Click on Driver Services, then select Commercial Driver’s License. The forms are listed under the Useful CDL Resources heading. You can submit a copy of your certified medical examiner’s certificate at http://mycdl.ky.gov by completing the form and uploading a copy. If you complete your documents through the Kentucky CDL Document Portal, http://mycdl.ky.gov you will receive an email when your documents are received and when your documents are updated to your CDLIS driving record. You will also receive an immediate email should your document be rejected.
THE CDL PERMIT TEST
- All applicants will be required to successfully pass a knowledge test, either in written or oral form (no oral test for Hazardous Material endorsement), and a vision test. A CDL instruction permit will then be issued which is valid for six (6) months.
- Schedule your knowledge test and vision test here at this link : http://kentuckystatepolice.
org/drivers-testing/ > ‘written testing’ > pick county link > scroll down to find a test date/time > fill in personal info and submit
AFTER GETTING YOUR PERMIT
- The permit must be held for 14 days prior to a Skills Test being administered. You may schedule a road skills test with Kentucky State Police by calling 800-542-5990. A permit may only be renewed once. If you do not successfully pass the road skills test by the expiration of your CDL instruction permit renewal, you will need to reapply. All fees and written tests will be required prior to a new permit being issued. If your permit or CDL license has been expired for over a year, all fees and written tests will be required prior to a new permit being issued.